ALLIANCE of the EXPERIENCES
Rob de Heer, who is well known as developer of re-turfing techniques and hybrid grass technology, and HATKO, which is one of the leader companies in the production of synthetic sports surfaces, brought their experience together to create the ultimate “HYBRIGRASS”.
In 1999 Rob founded Support in Sport and as Director of Operations grew the company to one of the leading natural and synthetic grass companies in Europe. The company was renowned for its design and construction of 5-aside football centres in the UK and development of re-turfing techniques for major stadia.
Rob gained many years of experience in the design and construction of high performance pitches. He was responsible for projects in many major stadia, such as the Amsterdam Arena, Old Trafford, Millennium Stadium, Stade de France, Stadio Della Alpi, Parken Stadium and Santiago Bernabeu. Rob’s engineering skills were tested whilst developing lightweight pitch constructions for the sliding pitches in Gelredome Arnhem and Arena Auf Schalke.
From 2001 Rob was part of the team developing new natural grass reinforcement systems or later named Hybrid grass systems. He is one of the pioneers and implemented Hybrid grass in some of the major stadia in the world.
After 15+ years of research and experience Rob decided to join forces with HATKO. The philosophy behind this decision is to unite Rob’s hands on experience and HATKO’ s production technology. In this system all the elements come together from initial pitch design, specific carpet reinforcement design to management of hybrid grass systems.
NATURALLY THE ANSWER FOR INCREASED USAGE
HYBRIGRASS is the ultimate marriage between natural grass and synthetic grass. It combines the benefits of natural grass playing surfaces with the strength and durability of synthetic grass. The HYBRIGRASS system consists of high quality Omega synthetic grass fibres, tufted in a special patented backing incorporating over 40% voids.
The HYBRIGRASS carpet will be installed on a specific rootzone layer and carefully filled with a clearly defined rootzone mixture before high quality sports field grass seed is drilled into the surface. The natural grass will grow between the synthetic grass fibres creating a strong and vigorous playing surface. The ‘open’ texture of the backing ensures that the grass roots are not obstructed in their vertical movement downwards from the day of installation
Meeting International Football Standards
One of the major design challenges for HYBRIGRASS is for the system to meet the International Football Standards
- Pile Height : 50mm
- Pile Weight : 1.000 gr/m 2
- No. of Filament : 98,280/m 2
- Porosity: %40
We are able to turn around HYBRIGRASS installations in 5-7 days (when seeded in-situ) or 2-3 days when pre-grown HYBRIGRASS turf/sods are used.
Design, Build & Maintenance
Our HYBRIGRASS engineering support service enables us to provide the customer the complete package from defining the initial design brief to preparing the working design, execute the installation and maintenance. Our experienced engineers will be able to translate the client’s requirements to the most optimum design whilst taking into account local conditions and available construction materials. Within the sports field design we offer the following in-house systems:
- Sports Pitch Hydro drainage systems
- Sports Pitch Hydro water harvest/retention systems
- Sports Pitch Hydro irrigation systems
- Sports Pitch Hydro undersoil heating systems
- Sports Pitch Hydro subsurface aeration & vacuum drainage system
Our in-house construction and installation crews guarantee a smooth and on time installation, where most competitors have to rely on their subcontractors and supplier’s agenda. We are able to turn around HYBRIGRASS installations in 5-7 days (when seeded in-situ) or 2-3 days when pre-grown HYBRIGRASS turf/sods are used. All of our installations and construction projects will be managed by an experienced engineer/foreman on a day to day basis.
Benefits For The Players
- Playable 24/7 under most conditions
- Uniform and level playing surface, even in high wear areas and goal boxes
- Always green surface, even when natural grass is worn out in areas
- Playing on sandy soil infill and not rubber crumb or cork infill. No rubber smell, washed out cork granules showing on the surface and always a cool surface to play on
- Optimum parameters on player-surface interaction (friction, rotational friction, underfoot stability)
- Less chance on playing surface related injuries
- Train and play on the same surface
Benefits For The Groundstaff
- No more divot repairs. Only small scar damage to the surface that requires attention
- No special maintenance equipment required
- Easy to manipulate playing surface conditions, tailored to the players and managers requirements
- Quick recovery of natural grass during the season and during regeneration period
- Shorten the out of season regeneration period
- Easy to repair damages if these occur
Benefits For The Facility Manager
- Increase of playing capacity up to 1000 hours per annum
- Play and train on the same surface and therefore reducing the need for additional training areas
- The ‘always green’ surface will guarantee a good visual appearance to the users and spectators
- HYBRIGRASS initial installation cost are very competitive compared to similar quality hybrid grass systems
- HYBRIGRASS on-going cost for maintenance are in line with those for sand based natural grass surfaces
- No need to invest in special maintenance equipment
- The ‘end of life’ cost liability is easily reduced to zero when lifting the system as turf rolls/sods and re-use
- Above all HYBRIGRASS running cost are beneficial as it ensures a much higher usage compared to natural grass surfaces and has double the lifespan compared to synthetic grass surfaces
Science Behind HYBRIGRASS
It has been proven that grass roots contribute considerably to the penetration resistance of the top layer of sports surfaces (Van Wijk, 1980). The reinforcing action of the grass roots can be explained from the high root intensities in the top layer and the tensile strength of the roots itself. When a stud of a football boot is inserted into the root zone, the soil material under the stud is displaced upwards and in lateral directions along certain shear planes.
The tensile strength of the roots crossing the shear planes will avoid or reduce this lateral displacement. In the analogy, the synthetic fibers of HYBRIGRASS are designed in such a way that no lateral displacement of the soil will take place, even when the natural grass component of the system has worn out.
According to field investigations a penetration resistance of the top layer of 1.4 MPa implies a soil strength that is adequate for intensive playing. Soil strength values can be affected by:
- The bulk density of the soil
- The amount of organic matter in the soil
- The soil moisture conditions
- The grass cover and grass root system
HYBRID TURF SYSTEMS – COMPARE FUNCTIONALITY
|Sport Related Function||Fibre Reinforced Rootzones||Fibre Injected Systems||Carpet Systems Tufted||Carpet Systems Woven|
|Visual performance under wear||+||-||+/-||+/-||+|
|Capability of meeting FIFA quality standards||+||-||-||-||+/-|
|CONSTRUCTION RELATED FUNCTION||Fibre Reinforced Rootzones||Fibre Injected Systems||Carpet Systems Tufted||Carpet Systems Woven|
|Face weight upper 50 mm||+||+||+||+||+/-|
|Tuft lock / fibre anchoring||+/-||n/a||+||-||+|
|Resistance to wear||+||-||+||+/-||+|
|Dust binding capacity||+||-||-||+/-||+|
|Capability for repairs||+||+||-||+||+|
Using a reinforced natural grass system like HYBRIGRASS contributes to a better environment. Once established, HYBRIGRASS consists for up to 90% of natural grass and hence contributes to CO2 reduction in the atmosphere. The cooling effect of natural grass caused by its respiration, benefits to the direct, often urban, environment as well as to the well-being of the players.
Compared to synthetic grass systems, the lifespan of HYBRIGRASS is minimally doubled and hence reduces the environmental impact of producing synthetic turf carpets dramatically.
All of Hatko’s manufacturing is powered by Hydroelectricity and hence contributes direct to a better environment.
HYBRIGRASS installations are typically turned around in 5-7 days when seeded in-situ or 2-3 days when pre-grown HYBRIGRASS turf/sods are used. The HYBRIGRASS carpet is unrolled on a level and consolidated lower root zone layer in 4-meter-wide rolls. Unlike other hybrid turf systems, the HYBRIGRASS rolls will be jointed via a unique glue connection, leaving no vertical or horizontal obstruction for grass roots to develop. Once the carpet is installed the infill mixture is applied in layers of 6-8mm whilst brushing up the fibers. Due to its unique shape and properties, the Hatko Omega fiber stands up naturally and requires very limited abrasive brushing. The total required infill depth is 35mm loose bulk (32mm consolidated).
Design, Build & Maintenance
Our HYBRIGRASS engineering service provides customer support from defining the initial design brief to preparing the working design, to execute the installation and maintenance. Our experienced engineers will be able to translate the client’s requirements into the best design whilst taking into account local conditions, restrictions and available construction materials.
Our in-house construction and installation crews guarantee a smooth and on time installation, where most competitors have to rely on their subcontractors and supplier’s availability.